We love the idea of giving the next generation of Data Scientists a jump start, but the best part is the rewards we gain… we learn from every every student during the boot camps, and occasionally, they come back as college interns later on.
This five-week program allows 10 – 12 rising seniors from different Duval County Public Schools to work in teams (of course) learning the basics of analytics and machine learning.
The first two weeks focuses on learning Tableau and visualizing and analyzing data. The remaining weeks focus on teaching the fundamentals of machine learning using Python and the program ends with the students presenting actual machine learning models they built to solve a problem to various professional entities, including the University of North Florida School of Computing, the Jacksonville Jaguars, the leaders in Jacksonville City Hall, and other business leaders.
At the end of the bootcamp, the students get to keep their laptops that we provided for their projects.
Rising High School Senior in the Duval County Public School District
Must be recommended by a teacher or counselor
- Week after Spring Break: interviews for potential candidates begin in coordination with teacher/counselor who nominates the candidate.
- Week of June 21st – Boot camp begins with intro to data visualizations
- Week of July 4th – Break
- Week of July 12 – Data Visualizations Part 2
- Week of July 19 – Intro to Python and Machine Learning
- Week of July 26 – ML Modeling Part 2
- Week of August 2 – Present Projects
*Schedule subject to change